Residents on the west side of the 1800 block of 2nd Street SW were evacuated for nearly two hours as Mid-American Energy effected repairs on a two-inch gas line that was struck by a homeowner this morning.
Firefighters were called to 1816 2nd Street SW at 7:52 a.m. this morning when the property owner, Kevin Bailey, age 50, accidentally struck a gas line in the front yard of a house that he was remodeling.
Bailey was using a utility vehicle to dig a hole for a water line that would extend from his house to the City water hook-up when he inadvertently struck a gas main line. Firefighters evacuated six residents as a precaution as gas was spewing from the breached line.
There were no injuries reported.
No further information is available at this time.