A fire this morning at an apartment complex located at 2040 Glass Road NE has been ruled accidental in nature and caused by an unattended candle in the bathroom of apartment 201.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department would like to remind citizens of safe candle practices.
• Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
• Keep candles 12 inches from anything that can burn.
• Use sturdy candle holders that will not tip over.
• Do not burn candles all the way down – put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
According to the National Fire Protection Association a candle fire is reported in the United States every 40 minutes. In 2010, the most recent year with data available, candle fires were responsible for 90 deaths, 820 injuries, and $370 Million in direct property damage in the United States.