Where can I dump it now?
The coronavirus has upended everybody's routine. Your garbage and recycling collection is no exception! But what should you do with your extra stuff now?
Curbside Collection Changes
The City of Cedar Rapids Solid Waste & Recycling division wants to reduce the spread of coronavirus. Here are ways you can help!
- Please only dispose of absolutely necessary garbage and limit extra bags if possible.
- No extra recycling boxes are accepted for now; only recycling that fits in your blue CURBY cart.
- No lawn & leaf bags are accepted for now; only yard waste that fits in your green YARDY cart.
- Glass collection is suspended for now. If necessary, you can dispose of glass in your gray GARBY cart.
- Bulky item and special haul collection is temporarily suspended.
Many of these collection procedures have been adjusted to limit the number of times a garbage/recycling collection worker needs to exit their vehicle and manually handle customer refuse. Thank you for understanding!
Where can I take everything now?
Q: The landfill is closed, I can't return bottle deposit items, and my glass isn't being collected! What can I do with all this stuff now?
A: We've compiled a list of several resources still available:
- Glass disposal
We encourage customers to hold on to any glass recycling items until collection resumes. If you are unable to hold onto extra glass items for now, glass can be disposed of in your gray GARBY cart.
- Plastic bottle/can deposits
If you are unable to hold onto your plastic bottle/alumnium can deposits, these items can be recycled in your blue CURBY reycling cart.
- Plastic grocery bag disposal
Many retail stores are not presently accepting plastic grocery bags for recycling. If you need to dispose of plastic bags, they can go into your gray GARBY cart. Otherwise, you might be able to find a way to reuse these bags around your home!
- Bulky item disposal
The Solid Waste Agency is closed for non-essential services, however local haulers may still be able to pick up some items from private property. Items in the City right of way cannot be removed by private haulers in observance of Municipal Code Chapter 24. See the list of local haulers serving Linn County.
- Compost pickup
While the Solid Waste Agency is closed for all other non-essential services, you can still pick up free compost at this time. View a short instructional video detailing how.